Using a scouring pad made out of natural fiber is simply a better choice because...
- Unlike synthetic material scrubbers, microplastics are not generated with this material when washing dishes.
- Dishes can be washed even without detergent. Chemical detergents may limit the inherently beneficial properties of hemp fiber. Use a small amount of solid wash bar instead.
- Hemp fiber absorbs and discharges moisture quickly. Its moisture-wicking ability inhibits mold and makes it a worry-free kitchen from bacteria.
- Although hemp fiber is durable enough to last for decades, the natural material returns to nature meaning it’s biodegradable when disposed of.
- Size: 24 cm x 24 cm
- Material: 100% natural and undyed hemp fiber
- Made in South Korea
- Do not bleach
- Do not tumble dry
- We recommend soaking this kitchen cleaning cloth in lukewarm water with a little amount of baking soda or vinegar, instead of washing it with chemical detergents.
Sambe is a Korean hemp fiber made by using fibers from the stalks of the Cannabis Sativa plant. As one of the most natural fibers, hemp fibers have been used historically in Koreans’ everyday life. The sustainability is initiated since the stage of growing – hemp requires very few or no chemical fertilizers or artificial pesticides and significantly less water and land compared to cotton. It also releases fewer toxic substances into the soil and the wider ecosystem. Hemp is also considered to be a carbon-negative raw material, which means that it absorbs more carbon than it produces. Aside from the environment-friendly cultivation, this vegan fiber has the following inherent beneficial characteristics.
Durable and Long-lasting
The fibers of hemp are long and sturdy, hemp fabric has the highest durability and strength among natural fibers. Hemp fabric is known to be about three times tougher than cotton. Since this plant-based fiber is not susceptible to shrinkage, it retains its shape over a long time and does not wear out easily, making it practically ideal for household textiles.
Hemp fiber has a low density compared with artificial fibers. Due to the unique structure of the fiber, it absorbs and discharges moisture quickly, hence its high popularity for use in towels. In addition, hemp fabric is lightweight and highly breathable.
Hemp is effective in preventing the growth of various bacteria that cause unpleasant odors. Its inherent antibacterial function is retained even after boiling or washing.
Antibacterial and Anti-toxic
This ecologically sound fiber is antibacterial and anti-toxic. The antibacterial standard of hemp yarn is 3.9 or higher, while the certification mark SEK given by The Japan Textile Evaluation Technology Council is eligible for products with a value over 2.2.
Natural hemp fibers are known to have superior UV protection properties compared to synthetic fibers. The 100% hemp fibers have a UV blocking rate of 92% and an electromagnetic wave blocking rate of 86%. That makes hemp material less prone to fading than cotton.
When hemp fiber is disposed of, it is biodegradable with a limited negative environmental impact.